Hopefuly nothing bad will happen. That disconnected branch is about 40 ft above the ground, and so there isn't much to be done but try to avoid standing under it.
Quite a bit warmer today....which makes it sound like shots going off as the icicles break free and crash. The neighbor's tree sprung back from my deck to it's usual position - I think it was Mother Nature at work because I don't see footprints out there. Sadly my own crepe myrtle didn't fare as well. Because one of the heavier sections tore loose from the trunk, I needed to do some major chainsaw work....and probably a third of the tree had to go. We'll see how it comes back this spring. The good news (from the birds point of view at least) was that the branches I hang the birdfeeders on remained intact.
And I do have quite a lot of birds but about the only ones I can identify for sure this time of year are the cardinals because they are so brilliantly red against the snow. My grandmother used to keep the Audobon guide close at hand so she could identify all of her visitors properly. Me, I just try googling because I've yet to find an online guide that I can follow.
Googling tells me that songbirds sleep in thickets when its cold out - and my next door neighbor has quite a jungle of azaleas, butterfly bushes, and I'm not quite sure what else on his side of the fence.....so I feel better that they have plenty of places left even as I try to tame my wilderness.
Do you know that I found naan at Walmart of all places? And it's actually pretty good. I grilled a bit to go with the Rajma Masala that I'm having for a late lunch.....and inside the Kitchens of India box (you don't think I actually make kidney bean curry myself, lol) was a CD of Indian music - this particular one features Moods of Indian Cinema, so I'm playing it with my meal.
And so I thought of my friend Pink and how much she loved Bollywood films - she used to post videos for us and explain the story behind each clip. She's come back to the internet recently and it sounds as if she's had a very difficult few years.......but she is a brave woman who never gives up, and even now I can still see that spirit of hope and optimism shining within he.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.....and I look forward to catching up with all of you.
Quite a bit warmer today....which makes it sound like shots going off as the icicles break free and crash. The neighbor's tree sprung back from my deck to it's usual position - I think it was Mother Nature at work because I don't see footprints out there. Sadly my own crepe myrtle didn't fare as well. Because one of the heavier sections tore loose from the trunk, I needed to do some major chainsaw work....and probably a third of the tree had to go. We'll see how it comes back this spring. The good news (from the birds point of view at least) was that the branches I hang the birdfeeders on remained intact.
And I do have quite a lot of birds but about the only ones I can identify for sure this time of year are the cardinals because they are so brilliantly red against the snow. My grandmother used to keep the Audobon guide close at hand so she could identify all of her visitors properly. Me, I just try googling because I've yet to find an online guide that I can follow.
Googling tells me that songbirds sleep in thickets when its cold out - and my next door neighbor has quite a jungle of azaleas, butterfly bushes, and I'm not quite sure what else on his side of the fence.....so I feel better that they have plenty of places left even as I try to tame my wilderness.
Do you know that I found naan at Walmart of all places? And it's actually pretty good. I grilled a bit to go with the Rajma Masala that I'm having for a late lunch.....and inside the Kitchens of India box (you don't think I actually make kidney bean curry myself, lol) was a CD of Indian music - this particular one features Moods of Indian Cinema, so I'm playing it with my meal.
And so I thought of my friend Pink and how much she loved Bollywood films - she used to post videos for us and explain the story behind each clip. She's come back to the internet recently and it sounds as if she's had a very difficult few years.......but she is a brave woman who never gives up, and even now I can still see that spirit of hope and optimism shining within he.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.....and I look forward to catching up with all of you.

LOVE your home!
ReplyDeleteThanks Shelly - it really was a happy accident finding it - and finding it to be affordable. Like you, I love houses with a bit of age to them - there's so much more charm than the new ones. (of course there's also a lack of closet space, lol).
ReplyDeleteI am renting mine but if/when I leave I am going to leave something of myself somewhere hoping someone will find it. I have the original cabinets and they reach to the ceiling, which is ridiculously high and at the top of the cabinets is a small storage space. I got nosy one day and peeked in there, nothing though. I am going to put a letter in there hoping one day someone will be as nosy as I am. I doubt if the landlady thinks to clean up there and if she does I am going to ask her to leave it! That's the crazy stuff I sit around and think of.
ReplyDelete