Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16th - Oh what a beautiful day


The smartass in me coming out on vacation ;).  Actually Amy discovered that the Lowell Observatory had night visiting hours while we were in Flagstaff. 

It happens to be the place where Pluto was discovered.  And, if you have known me for a while, you probably know that my job involves buying spacecraft parts and that one of the most exciting projects I was involved with is
Yep, they had a display showing the New Horizons spacecraft, which was launched five years ago this week and has about another four and a half years to go before it reaches Pluto.

I'm really not a "space geek", but I do think it is quite wonderful that we are willing to plan and launch missions that take so many years to get where they are going especially in these days when so many people demand instant results.

The Lowell also had a marvelous presentation Marvels of the Cosmos that left me a bit awed by how the universe works.....and by the scientists who have managed to figure so much out so far away.

And then there was the telescope where I got to see part of the Orion nebula, whch was even more cool when  I realized that what I was seeing actually happened 1500 years ago because that's how long it took the light to travel to earth.

Its all quite wonderfully overwhelming, isn't it?

I will be blogging my trip in bits and pieces now that I've caught up on my homework and housework.  Speaking of houses - mine is nice and warm - bless the heating company and my home warranty company for choosing them.

Too often I think about how lucky I am and how well I'm treated but I don't do anything more.  So today I sent an email to both the warranty company and the repair service thanking them for a job well done.

I feel good about taking the time to thank them properly, and I'm going to look for opportunities to do so more often. 

Hope all of you are having a wonderful Sunday(Monday for my across the dateline buddies).

No comments:

Post a Comment