Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20th - Thursday Thoughts



I want to let you know that I was in the middle of a blog yesterday, hit the wrong button and lost it...and just wasn't up to trying to recreate it.

It was about Meteor Crater in Arizona and how even though I knew from reading that it was big.... my mind couldn't really wrap itself around the size - I had to see it.....and unfortunately I couldn't find a way to show the scale in my pictures.  This thing is a mile across and more than 500 ft deep.

Does it help if I tell you that at the bottom there is a six foot statue of an astronaut holding a flag?  If you can find him, you've got better eyes than I do.

The meteor that hit here fifty thousand years ago was 150 ft in diameter....which is the same size as the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel

The impact vaporized anything within a few miles and caused damage to an area bigger than the whole state of Arizona.

And as archeologists dig deeper into the past (pun intended) - it's quite likely that human beings were around to witness (and be vaporized) by this thing.

If there is any point to any of this - it's really that I'm just fascinated by the randomness of life and the happy accident that put us all here at this time in history.....and as if that wasn't lucky enough, we are also in the minority (28.7%) who have access to the internet.

I'm not sure that we understand that we are truly the elite of this planet.

If you make a thousand dollars a month - you are richer than more than half of the world.
If you have internet access - you are better connected than almost three quarters of the world.
If you have enough to eat - you are better fed than 15% of the world.
If you can read and write - you are better educated than 20% of the world.

Yes, like Ella sang so well.....I'm just a lucky so and so








No comments:

Post a Comment