I bought enough "new" wine on Friday that I ought to be able to get back in the swing of blogging weekend wine...its just that for the last couple of months I've been drinking my standard go-to wines - Sexy Wine Bomb and Vicious Red - when I'm not drinking beer (alternating between Raging Bitch and Yuengling Light).
But tonight I wanted to start the new year out with something a bit special - but it had to be something that would work with swedish meatballs. So, I grabbed a bottle of Stump Jump 2008. I really like Australian shiraz as an inexpensive everyday wine, and this stuff is a step up from the ordinary being a blend of Grenache, Shiraz, and Mourvedre.
It was also listed as one of Wine Spectators top 100 best value wines for 2010, which made the price go up from 9.99 to 12.99 at my local store, sigh.
But they were right to give it a 90 point rating - it is really, really good. Its got plenty of fruit so that you can drink it by itself, but there's enough other things going on that its worth sipping rather than gulping. Even an untrained palate like mine can find the pepper and dark fruit in it. Let me give you the official word -
"90 points, a Best Value designation and one the Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2009: "Ripe and open-textured, this is impressive for the way it packs in the cherry, blackberry and raspberry flavors and doesn't take the foot off the gas pedal until the mineral-inflected finish has played through. Drink now through 2018. 5,000 cases imported." And, according to Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar: "Deep ruby. Black cherry, plum and pepper on the nose. Supple and sweet, with rich dark berry and candied plum flavors and a hint of black pepper. Finishes with very soft tannins and a lingering note of licorice. This wine offers serious complexity and depth for the money."
I think this one would please even the friends who say they don't like red wine....and I think I'll go pick up another bottle in case any of you folks decide to drop by.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment