Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December 7th - Oh Christmas Tree


So today I decorated the Christmas tree.  Yep, I said today - not tonight.  I was working from home waiting for the oven repair guy and decided to multitask.

If you've known me for a while then you know that a lot of the ornaments on my tree have history behind them while some are just there to fill up space.  And then there's the remnants of my past obsession with the Coca Cola polar bears scattered around here and there

I don't remember how many years ago I finally decided to go with a tabletop artificial tree, but it came after one too many painful incidents when I stepped on dry pine needles hidden in the carpet months after the holiday was over.

And of course a tree comes into the house pretty easily wrapped in twine - once the branches fall out  the thing doubles in diameter and is difficult to get back out the door.

But I have a bigger house now-  and there's actually a corner (where the fishtank is now) that would be perfect for a tree - so perhaps I'll consider some rearranging next year - I do love the scent of greenery and the furkids seem to be leaving the tree alone.

I'm digressing though - the point of this blog was to tell about my tree and share the story of some of the ornaments on it.  I was dismayed to not find one ornament in the box - it's the only glass one I have and it's quite hideous, but it's a relic of my childhood trees - so it is quite old.  I'm hoping that I put it somewhere amidst the house decorations that I haven't been through yet.

Anyhow - I'm going to include one ornament and the memory that goes with it in each blog that I write for the rest of the year...

First up is Barbie


This is the ornament for Barbie's 40th birthday.  Its a treasured gift from my best bud that she sent for my own 40th - turned out Barbie and I are the same age.

Of course I'm a natural blonde and she isn't......but I wish I had her perky boobs.  Every time I put this on the tree I think of Patti and in a way its as if she's here with me instead of so many miles away.

So - do you have decorations with a special story?

No comments:

Post a Comment