Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27th - I am a material girl

To my credit - I do give as good as I get.  I know that for Christians the holiday is supposed to be about Jesus and for Jews its about the miracle of the oil. 

But then there is Festivus for the rest of us.

On a more serious note - the time around the Winter Solstice has been celebrated by man for many thousands of years so no one belief system has a monopoly.  I like to think of it as a time of giving and compassion shared by all mankind.

And at Chez Em, it's about the stuff.  I watched my son get excited over a miter saw (he is his mother's child for sure)...my daughterinlaw smile when she opened the camera case she'd asked for..and my dad eyes light up at the 14 cd set of The Universe.....I think he might have been happier about that then the laptop I also gave him.

Me - I was in electronics heaven..The kids gave me a Roku which will let me stream Netflix and other stuff to my underused big screen TV whenever I like.  I'd told my dad I wanted a Nook e-reader, and left it up to him which one he got....so he went big and I have the one with both Wifi and 3G access.

 Then there's the nice bakeware to replace the cheap stuff I've been struggling with, lots of interesting oriental foods to try, candle holders that hide the flame well enough to be cat friendly....and of all the wonderful but unexpected gifts - a cashmere sweater :).

It was truly a great Christmas morning.......and once the kids left and I took my Dad back to his house it was a marvelous rest of the weekend eating leftover bagels and playing with my new toys.

Now, I won't tell you that there weren't a few wistful moments on Christmas Eve when I felt like everyone else in the world was paired up and I was all alone.  But I was wise enough to turn off the Christmas tunes and turn on the TV where they happened to be having a marathon of "Who the #### did I marry?"

It quickly reminded me that there are worse things than being single - I could have found myself involved with a bank robber or a serial killer.
Hope all of you had a wonderful holiday weekend as well

No comments:

Post a Comment