Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13th - She shops, she scores.......and maybe learns a bit too


First off – let me introduce you to the headliner – my Tyler Rodan Barnum Tote.  This bag is big enough to carry my Nook and my Netbook, has enough compartments that I won’t need to go digging for my wallet or my camera, and best of all, it’s got an extra crossbody strap which is a much safer way to carry a bag while traveling. 

I think its even big enough I could stash lunch and a bottle of wine in there should I get the urge to picnic on the Spanish Steps.  Oh wait, scratch that – you are not permitted to eat on the Spanish Steps.
It was 31.00 at Ross, which was more than I wanted to spend….but when I got home and googled – turns out its almost twice the price at Amazon.com….so I definitely got myself a deal.


And then there’s the sedum.


I was at Lowes picking up some birdseed and they happened to have creeping variegated sedum marked down to 75 cents a pot…..so I bought a few to put in the front garden bed.  I’m partial to perennials because I don’t have to keep buying them year after year….and these will tuck nicely into a few bare spots.


On the way home I stopped by the grocery store to discover a package of store-made portabello/swiss burgers marked down to four dollars – so dinner was a no brainer……though it was still so hot that I ended up pulling out the George Foreman rather than deal with the grill.
 (not my burgers - just a googled photo)

A funny thing happened at the grocery store.  I looked over to the checkout line next to mine and saw my Dad.  So I switched lines to be behind him and said Hi.  He had a bit of a guilty look on his face, and I remembered that I’d offered to go shopping for him and he’d told me he didn’t need anything.  I also noticed he was wearing this horridly old discolored nylon jacket that I’d thought he had tossed years before.


I opened my mouth to start criticizing…..but for once I was smart enough to shut it again without saying anything other than “let me get these things out of the cart for you”.  We chatted while waiting in line – I offered to pay for his groceries, and of course he said no…….I asked him if he wanted help getting his stuff to the car and again he said no, that he was just fine.


And he was fine….slow of course, one of those old people that I get frustrated by when I’m in a hurry……but he was just fine.  I caught up with him after I paid for my own purchases, gave him a hug and told him I’d see him soon.


As I was leaving, one of the employees called me over and asked me if I was related to Mr John.  I told him who I was, and mentioned that I was surprised to see him out at the store on a Sunday, let alone in the afternoon when it tends to be crowded.  The man gave me an odd look, and then told me that you could set your watch by my father – he always arrived at 1:30 every Sunday afternoon.



Now, my dad always nods his head in agreement when I talk about how impossible traffic is on weekend afternoons, and how crowded all the stores are, and how he should go out during the week to do his errands because it’s easier.


But now I know– he’s nodding to be polite – he does whatever the heck he wants ;)

I’m glad that I haven’t managed to browbeat him into being less than he can – and I’m going to do my best to accept him as he is –ugly jacket and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment