Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12 - Caturday

\

My friend Carol commented that our own troubles don't seem so large in comparison with something like the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and I agree with her.   But that doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to vent when things don't go right for us..........there will always be some in this world who have it worse than us and some who have it better.

I've got an online friend in Toyko, and allthough it was a distance away from the epicenter, he still went through a terrifying experience......bits of which he was able to share with us over the miracle of the IPhone, Facebook, and Twitter.  Not that he's a science experiment or anything like that, but I'll be curious to watch how and if this changes him.   Japan has frequent earthquakes (though nothing like this one), and he took them in stride....in fact he'd often make jokes about them. Hopefully although his nerves will likely be on edge for a while, his sense of humour will remain intact.

We've come a long way in terms of understanding the forces of nature.  In many cases we can warn of impending catastrophes, and at the very least we've learned to identify high rish areas and build in ways that are safer if and when an earthquake or other natural disaster occurs.

So imagine how it must have been a thousand or even a few hundred  years ago when a mountain erupted or the ground shook or a swirling wind tore everything away without warning.........

I'm very glad that I'm living in this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment