The NASCAR Sprint Cup season starts today with the Daytona 500. I've never seen a race there, but I've taken the track tour and it's one of those places that you really can't get a sense of without visiting. The place is HUGE.
As much as I enjoy being able to watch so much NASCAR on TV these days (it used to be that you had to hunt the races down on stations like FX)......I think that there is just too much chatter and not enough actual racing anymore. Granted - it can be a boring sport on TV - long periods of cars going around in circles with an occasional moment of excitement from a wreck or a lead change. I guess the networks feel the need to fill up every moment of airtime with commentary...but it really does sound forced....and I wish they'd shut up once in a while. Granted, I like the incar cameras and the pit road coverage and the replays....but the rest.....let the driving speak for itself.
So for folks who find NASCAR boring - I understand. It's one of those sports where you really do need to be there. No matter how high you crank up your TV - it's still not the same engine rumble, or the smell of asphalt and tires. The cameras can't show you everything happening on the track - you are at their merchy as to what they feel like filming....but if you are there yourself you can see most of what's going on and pick and choose who you want to focus on at any given time. There is a lot of great on the edge driving happening that never shows up on TV unless it ends up in a wreck.
There I go off on a tangent again.....sorry about that.
Today really was meant to be about all sorts of luckiness at Chez Em's. First off - although we had some really nasty winds yesterday the pile of limbs I'd stacked yesterday stayed put and there are only a couple new ones to add to the collection. The cover blew off my hottub - but I was lucky enough to think to check it and once weighted down - no more problems. I got all my homework finished yesterday, so today is about relaxing....and I'm holding onto an A in the class with three weeks to go.
I headed out to Target this morning and happened upon some really good clearance buys (dollar shampoo/conditioner/lotion)......stopped off at the grocery store and found a rib special (a rack of ready to eat for five bucks). I got home and turned the oven on to heat them up a bit more - only to find I was out of aluminum foil. And when I headed out to get some - I found NY strip steaks marked down to 2.50 each.
So it really has been a serendipitous day for me - and I hope it has been for you as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment