Thursday, November 25, 2010
November 25th - Thanksgiving Thirteen
If you know me, then you know that I don't do family Thanksgiving. Christmas is the big family holiday, though not really "big" because there aren't very many of us.
There's a lot of reasons that Thanksgiving just never really worked for me, one of which being that I'm not much for turkey. Instead I look at the holiday as four days of me time....which generally includes at least one home improvement project. Sometimes I go ahead and cook a turkey....and then I make lots and lots of white chili with the leftovers.
This year I'll be grilling a steak (since the oven isn't fixed yet)....and save the turkey for another day....but that's for later because I'm just not hungry yet...and thats fine because this is my day :).
The project is painting the dark wood paneling in my kitchen. I normally don't like to cover over wood, but this stuff is stained beyond restoration..and it's already so dark that trying to stain it darker is really not an option.
So far, I have two coats of primer on. I"ll wait until the plumber is done tomorrow before I start painting the finish color - semigloss white like the cabinets.
But that's just to let you know what I've been up to today......What I really wanted to do is come up with a Thursday Thirteen - and of course today IS the day to be thankful...so that's what you are going to get.
Mind you I am thankful for my friends and my family and our armed forces and all the other things that we should be thankful for.....but for today, I'm going to go with the smaller things....each of which reinforces my belief that you get back what you put out into the world....
1. I got a special achievement award at work which equates to cash - and even after taxes it would be enough to pay for a Caribbean cruise - or maybe carpet for the master suite - or a lot of other splurges that it is fun to imagine.
2. And almost (but not quite) as important as the cash is the knowledge that they really do see the effort I put into my job and appreciate my work.
3. I also had my annual review which was very good....and for the first time ever there were no suggestions of ways I could improve anything, let alone the dreaded "communication skills".
4. I found some foam knee pads (I'd used them for installing carpet a few years ago) and they really helped with all the kneeling I had to do to get the wainscoting primed today.
5. I am grateful that when things break I generally have either the knowledge to fix them myself, or the money to hire the work done - or sometimes I have both which gives me the luxury of choice.
6. I am grateful that I was out and about to get to see that incredibly beautiful moon hanging low in the sky earlier this week.
7. I am happy that my knee seems to be improving bit by bit, and that it's reminded me not to put off my dreams to "someday", but to grab every opportunity I can while I can.
8. I am grateful that Ollies Bargain Outlet had Warm Delights on sale so that when that chocolate craving hit hard last night - I had it covered
9. I am very grateful that my Dad is alive and in good enough health that I don't have to take care of him....which is not to say I would resent it if I had to - just that I am happy he's still quite independent.
10. I am glad that I am happy with how that painting project is coming out because there is no way to "undo" what I've been doing.
11. I'm glad that I have a good instructor for this semester's class because it makes things so much easier.
12. I'm happy that my lumpy Pumpkin is sitting by my feet waiting impatiently for it to be dinnertime....a year ago I was quite concerned that he wouldn't live to the new year.
13. And I'm grateful that my company gives us Friday off....and that I don't have to travel or cook or watch football or do anything except exactly what I want to do for the next three days :)
Hope all of you are having a wonderful holiday if you are in the US and planning for a marvelous weekend wherever you are....
PS: Carol - hope you arrived safely and I miss you..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment