Saturday, November 13, 2010
November 13th - Caturday
I'm sure that's what I'd hear if my furkids went outside. If there is a downside to having a forest out back, it's the falling leaves., First the giant white pine drops some of its needles, leaving a carpet of sharp brown things that track everywhere.......then the magnolia follows suit and with some assistance from the breeze, the neighbors trees join in and I end up with the picture above (sans lol cat).
Now, I don't really mind the leaves, so it would be fine with me to just leave them (pun not intended). I wondered whether or not I actually needed to rake, and I'd like to say that thanks to the internet - I have my answer.
But I don't - it seems there are two schools of thought. One is that there is no problem - the grass will go dormant and the leaves will decay. The second is that when rain falls, the leaves will turn into a gooey thick blanket that will kill the grass beneath it.
My neighbor uses his lawn tractor to cut his yard and he either lets the blades chop up the leaves or he has a bag attachment....in any case every few days I come home and notice the leaves are gone....and he's been kind enough to mow my front lawn as well.
So I think perhaps I'll just take the mower out one more time, put the bag attachment on, and cut the back grass one more time....then I can rake whatever is left towards the bottom of the hill. Supposed to be a pretty weekend - more like early October than mid November.
What do you folks do with your leaves?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I leave 'em for Bob. He mows them into mulch and leaves them be. (no pun intended)
ReplyDelete