Who'd have thought I'd be grateful for the low 90s? But considering the heatwave around here I'm thrilled to be below 100. This morning I braved the outdoors and got some yardwork done - no mowing or trimming because of the bad air quality...but I did manage to cut back a lot of things that needed it, collect a bag worth of tree limbs, and do a few other odds and ends before it got too miserable outside.
And this afternoon - even though it was hot, I sat outside for a bit listening to the radio and enjoying nature....some intentional - like the birds at the feeder and some unintentional - like the small tree frog that jumped onto the radio and stared at me for a bit.
Last night there was a tiny lizard on the kitchen floor - I scooped him up and took him outside - he was gone this morning - don't know whether he scurried off or if he became dinner for some other critter...but in any case - I'm glad I didn't panic and feel the need to stomp him....my killing these days is limited to ants and stink buge.
So, once the frog decided to leap off to better places, I focused my attention on the birds,.,,,who actually seemed to be playing with all the darting from tree to tree. There are bluejays and ravens and the occasional cardinal bouncing around......a few chickadees and a gorgeous goldfinch.....and then the criminal woodpecker who succeeded in drilling a big hole through my finch feeder so that he could get to the good stuff....I wrapped metal tape around the hole, and when I noticed him hitting the same spot this afternoon - I scared him off and he moved to the other feeder.
And to think I'd blamed that evilness on the squirrels......bad em.
Then there was the deer - this time, only one at the bottom of the lot - a doe munching out on whatever is growing down there. No signs of zombiness so far....crossing fingers.
I do love watching life go by in my backyard......and I'm thinking maybe someday, with enough patience, I can become the Cesar Millan of deer.

No comments:
Post a Comment