Thursday, July 14, 2011

7/14 - Thursday Thirteen (or whatever I get to)

Its Bastille Day which is, of course, the French version of Independence Day.  And that makes me think - Canada Day is also in July.....is there something about midsummer that has folks yearning to revolt?

I know that I have been feeling like revolting against work.  The new software program we are using is still quite buggy and frustrating......things that were easy to do before are now timeconsuming and complicated......and with our self-reviews due in a couple of weeks, I can't even get data on the amount of work I've done this year to support my goals, sigh.

But no matter how miserable I feel, my karma seems to keep coming through.  I was called into my boss's office on Tuesday and found the credit card manager there.  We were both very surprised to have the Department Head walk in, thank us for our hard work on the new software system, and hand us achievement award letters which equal a one time cash bonus that will appear in our next paychecks.

So ironically the system I despise has earned me department recognition,  a couple of bonuses and a pretty good raise last year.

My car stereo is acting up.  At first I thought it was the antenna because my FM goes out on occasion, but after a bit of googling, chances are it's the tuner itself and I'll have to buy a new one.  Fortunately it wasn't too tough to install, and if I stay with the same brand it should just be plug and play into the existing wiring harness.  (crossing fingers).

Speaking of electronics - why does darn near everything I own require a different kind of cord?  My MP3 player has a proprietary connection as does my camera.  Fortunately my cellphone shares the same connector type as my Nook.....and they all charge by USB - except for my camera, where I need to carry a special battery charger.  My new netbook requires a three prong outlet while my old laptop doesn't...and then there's my GPS with a cigarette lighter plug all it's own.  Seems like I almost need a suitcase just for all the cords that need to come with me.

I haven't finished the rest of the story of my trip to Canada - we went home a different direction through the mountains and following the Fraser River - it was gorgeous and I have the pics to prove it.

Everything in British Columbia is larger than life - including the mosquitos.  Apologies for the terrible pic but I haven't figured out macro - if there even is one on here.  Just keep in mind that the copper thing is a penny.


Yeah, these suckers found their way into my rental as we unloaded the car at Carol's and the next morning this one refused to leave willingly.

Our mosquitos are bad -  they include the Asian Tiger which doesn't follow the usual rules of coming out at dawn and dusk.....it feeds whenever it likes....but I'd never seen anything like the attack at Carols.  She and her son were wearing black shirts and the damn things clustered on their backs.  I should have been nice and brushed them off - but instead I was just grateful they were too busy to do much munching on me.

And finally, there were deer in the neighbors yard - not zombie deer, but what seemed to be a family - at least there was a doe and her fawn

and another larger deer that I didn't get a picture of.  I wish I'd had my camera from the start because they were so much fun to watch.  A rabbit came bounding through and the fawn followed it, I guess hoping it would play.  After a while I risked going in to get my camera and they were still there when I came back out....though I didn't dare try to get close.

I'm not sure that I want to make friends with the local deer anyhow - first, because I've got a lot of hosta and other deer treats close to the house, and secondly because there are a couple of days of hunting offered at the park, and I don't want these guys to get so used to people that they become easy targets.

And one last comment - Carol and Lisa had told me that they really liked the show Big Bang Theory - I gave it a try and am now hooked myself - thanks guys......

We've almost made it through another week - I look forward to catching up with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment