Tuesday, August 2, 2011

8/2 - The US Debt Crisis

I don't blog politics (or religion for that matter) because I've found them to be the two most divisive subjects on the planet.  And here, I'm not really intending to blog politics.......its just that I was so frustrated with the way that our politicians couldn't just do the right thing - pay the bills we'd signed up to pay.  Instead, they had to hold our treasury hostage while they fought over what they wanted to have happen in the future.

Imagine going out and shopping for days and days - racking up lots of credit card bills.  Then when the statements come in - you decide not to pay them.  Not because you can't afford to pay them, but because maybe you shouldn't have bought so much stuff - so you want to put a plan in place so you don't overspend in the future.

Or think about your paycheck not showing up in your bank account.  Not because you didn't work, not because your company is out of money - but because management hasn't decided what sort of cutbacks they need to make next year.

As far as I knew, it was against the law to agree to pay for something and then not do it.....but in this country where people seem to think its OK to walk away from their credit card bills and their mortgages - and there are ads on TV for people who guarantee to get the IRS to take less money than you owe....why should I expect our politicians to do the responsible thing and allow our government to pay its bills.

I discovered my new Congressman (since I moved a couple of years ago) voted against raising the debt ceiling - and I was so upset that I sent the first email ever to his website........

Dear Congressman Cummings,

I moved just a couple miles across town into your district in 2009, and although I was not thrilled to find I'd lost Steny Hoyer, I figured as a Democrat you were also looking out for us so I voted for you without issue.
But you've disappointed me greatly with your vote to keep the US Government from paying its debts.  Too many people in this country alreadty have the attitude that they can run from the money they owe - from ordinary individuals racking up credit card debt to the rich corporate business men declaring bankrupty to protect their personal wealth. 
I am embarrassed that you promoted this sort of financial responsibility by voting to prevent the government from paying it own bills.

You might argue that you were standing on principle because you didn't like the cuts associated with the bill, but to me, you broke a far more important principle - that when we owe money, we pay it back.

Of course you don't need my vote - you were elected long before I moved to your district and I've no doubt you'll keep getting elected.  But I wanted you to know that you  don't represent me -  I believe in honoring my commitments and paying my debts. You are no Steny Hoyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment