Do fish think, and if they do, what do they think about?
This thought came about because I am going to give my tropical fish to my dentist's office- they have a nice tank setup, every bit as big as mine- but it holds just a single lonely zebra danio. Turns out someone gave them some fish - one was apparently ill - and the next thing they knew, all but one had died. That was a while ago however, and that little zebra has been swimming around solo for months. I put my tank up to entertain the cats years ago - when I moved, it had to go into a corner - they don't watch it anymore, and I don't either - so its the perfect solution for both of us.
But to do this properly, I have to move a few fish every week or so because it takes time for the ecosystem in the new tank to adjust to a heavier load. Tuesday I brought the first batch over, making sure to have three of each kind because tetras like to school, and I'll call Monday to see how they made it through the transition before I bring any more over.
And tonight, as I fed the remaining fish I wondered - did they notice that some of their own were missing - if they did, were they curious or worried about what happened. In a way, I'm the fish god - I determine the quality of their life as I provide for their needs as I see fit - I certainly don't ask their opinion of anything.
It turns out there have been recent studies that indicate that fish DO think.....one recent one is Whats your fish thinking? I just hope mine aren't thinking too badly of me.
Tonight I cut down quite a bit of my backyard Crepe Myrtle. Its blooming season and I probably should have waited, but it had grown so lanky and topheavy that I was afraid the next heavy rainstorm would crack a branch or two.. ...its happened before. Trimming the tree back to balance it is the right thing to do in the longrun, but right now I feel sad to have taken so many of its flowering loveliness away. And so I certainly home that plants don't feel pain.....or else I could be in trouble.

Hopefully it won't be long before all your fishies are reunited in their new tank, and of course you'll still be able to see them whenever you have a dentist appointment. I used to have a lovely tank of fishies myself years ago - my ex bought it for me for my birthday... except somehow I ended up paying for most of it...? Then a few years later he gave my tank and fishies to his brother without asking me!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your fishies are going to a lovely new home where they'll bring a lot of joy to people :)