Monday, August 5, 2013

8/5/13 Its a small world after all


We had an incredibly gorgeous Sunday here - perfect temperatures, low humidity, an open the windows kind of day except that they'd rented out the park pavillion to some folks with an over active bass amp....so thumping was heard throughout the land.

It was actually annoying enough that after talking to my across the street neighbor - I looked up the non emergency police number to register a noise complaint - and it turns out I was the second person to do so......which hopefully means I haven't turned into a grumpy old lady, lol.

Saturday was drizzly which was bad for yardwork but great for catching up on things....my DIL invited me out to breakfast at Ikea with little IM....and it was great to get to see them both.  With Jez's evening shot routine any weeknight adventures need to be short ones.  She managed OK on one shot a day while I was away last - but I'm hesitant to switch out because as obsessive as the Feline Diabetes Forum folks can be, I agree with the concept that the closer to normal you can keep a diabetic cat, the more likely it is that they'll go into remission.......and that is the best possible outcome for both of us.

And then there was Friday....I finally got to take my afternoon off (I've had a coworker on vacation and other schedule issues that meant I wasn't able to use my flexible schedule) which meant I could get my hair cut and a mani/pedi.  I still find it hard to believe that I"m willing to let strange people fool with my feet...but it is really nice to have nails that look polished (pun not intended).

All the staff is Vietnamese and I was talking to the technician about her family....and she mentioned to me that she really wants her daughter to go to pharmacy school.  I mentioned that's what my hairdressers daughter (who is also Vietnamese) is majoring in, and she explained that Asian families encourage their children to become pharmacists because it is in the medical profession, pays well, and doesn't involve the expense or long hours associated with becoming a doctor.  The woman sitting next to me joined in saying she was involved in nuclear medicine and I learned a lot about how many  different opportunities there are for pharmacists beyond just working for a drugstore.

But that's not the small world part.  The woman was there with her husband and son - and at one point she called him by name - David - and that's when it clicked....I was sitting next to the wife of my brother's best friend.  I hadn't seen them in years, but they hadn't changed that much - its really just that context is everything. They live about forty minutes away and I would never expect to see him in a nail salon in my town......but it turns out that he's had the same woman cut his hair for almost 30 years - he's followed her from shop to shop.

Which reinforces why he's my brother's best friend......once they find something they are comfortable with....they will suffer as many inconveniences as necessary so that they don't have to change :)

No comments:

Post a Comment