Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5/15 - My house.....

is a very very very fine house......


Not meaning to boast, but this time of year I think my front yard kicks butt.....it makes me smile when I pull in the driveway every evening....Later on I'll be fighting with the weeds and the heat - but for now, its just a matter of mowing the grass once in a while.

Work's been really busy, but I enjoy the challenge.  Plus, part of the reason I have so much to do is because of a pretty cool NASA program that we are rushing through - BRRISON. - Balloon Rapid Response to ISON.

If you aren't a space geek, you've likely never hear of ISON......in short, its a comet discovered last year that is going to come quite close to the sun this November - and may give us a great light show in the night sky....its been called the Comet of the Century.  For scientists, it provides an opportunity to learn more about the origins of our universy.....if they can get their instruments in a good place to gather the pictures and data they need.

And that's where my folks come in.  Its impossible to build a satellite in time to intercept this thing.....not to mention these sorts of programs cost hundreds of millions of dollars that NASA doesn't have in these days of sequestration.  But we have experience using high altitude balloons to collect pictures and data - and that's what we are going to do with Comet ISON - send a balloon 20some miles into the atmosphere with a camera and other instrumentation that will allow it to collect data as ISON passes by.

But to make that happen, we need to get the system built, tested, and delivered to NASA before the end of September....and that's a very short timeframe with no room for mistakes or missed shipments.  Which is where I come in - I'm responsible for making sure the program gets effective support from Purchasing - so I spend a lot of time trying to keep a lot of panicked folks calm....and trying to convince some "so what" folks that their work associated with this program needs to be a top priority.

So, that's been keeping me jumping...but I did ask for more work, lol.

I have more I want to write - but this seems like a good place to stop...so thanks for letting me ramble on and I'll catch you again soon.

 

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! (and that goes for the yard, too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm signed up to the Nasa and Spaceweather blogs, its so cool to think I know someone who's involved! And your house really does look great :)

    ReplyDelete