Sunday, February 10, 2013

2/10/13 Sunday Stuff



I was searching for something to go along with the idea that if you keep doing the same things you'll get the same results.....and then I saw this and it made me smile.

Now, the reason for the "don't do the same thing" theme is because XX called again.  You may or may not remember, but this is not my exhusband, rather its the guy I date every decade......the one I tried living with for a year only to discover that he was a twelvepack a night man. Drunk every night was (and still is) a dealbreaker for me.  Every once in a while XX calls to see if I've changed my mind. 

Saturday afternoon I was putting laundry away and getting ready to head over to Dads with his stuff when the phone rang.  I didn't recognize the number and generally I don't answer the phone when that happens....but this time I happened to pick up the line - and it was XX.  I looked up the last time he called and it was back in September - I remember calling him back and finding him drunk or asleep (take your pick) at 7 pm on a Friday night.....it was pretty clear then nothing had changed.

I was going to give the high points of the conversation, but there really weren't any.  I think he's become so isolated that he doesn't remember how to even pretend to be interested in someone other than himself and that makes me sad.   But it also makes me grateful that I eventually recognized the relationship was toxic and got out - in the past I'd change to better fit with my partners lifestyle instead of being true to myself.

And now, I listen and I am polite, but there's not a twinge of wanting left - not even a wishing he was different......I'm so over it all - which is something I wouldn't have believed possible just a few years ago.

In other news, I have successfully blood glucose tested my cat several times over the weekend.  She doesn't seem to mind much, and it means that if the vet wants to see another glucose curve I can do it for about ten dollars instead of two hundred and thirtyfive.  Right now what it's done is reassure me that she's not likely to go into diabetic shock while I"m at work....and although her blood sugar is high at times, its not extreme.

I've managed a week of Weightwatchers Online tracking all my food and drink - and as long as i don't pour any more wine - I should make it through the week without going over on my points. 

The weather was nice enough today that I was able to go outside and cut up that giant tree branch that fell a couple of weeks ago - and pick up some other branches as well.  In fact, it was so pleasant that when Batcat gave me his sad face, I put his harness on and took him out for a walk around the yard.

I started playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band again - its much easier now that it's hooked up in my basement.  I'm so rusty that I'm back to playing on beginner - but its still a lot of fun...I can't really explain why except that its really cool to make music.

And now I think its about time to go take advantage of the mild evening and hang out in my hottub for a bit.





4 comments:

  1. I was smiling as I read your post, knowing how blessed it is to finally reach a perspective that keeps you safe from falling into ineffective yet painful old habits. I am very happy to hear of your hard won perspective with XX.

    And well done on the feline glucose testing; can't imagine trying that with any cats I know.

    Happy tubbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley, I never thought I would get to this point....every time he called it would bring so much of it back - the good as well as the bad, and the wishing things could be different and the pretending that maybe they would be different if I gave them a chance......but I'm sure you know how it goes. Time does heal, though not as quickly as one might like - and I think of my past relationships rather like tree rings....part of who I am, but as time passes, they move further back as new growth takes its place.

      Delete
  2. Wow...Hope you remembered to keep the number so you'll recognize it in the future. Glad you are still able to detach.
    Maybe if you can get Jez to walk on the harness it could help with her diabetes. Exercise, diet & glucose shots will get her on track in no time....
    Good kitty mommy...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the XX 2 kisses goodbye? Your blog made me smile,long time no see. I hope you are well ?
    Best Wishes
    Dave

    ReplyDelete