to bring you a Chez Em Special Report....
Jezebel crashed this weekend - wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and just lay around scaring the heck out of me. I thought perhaps it was a bad cold and got her in to the vet first thing Monday morning.
Turns out she's diabetic.......they had to keep her a couple of days to get her rehydrated and stabilized and now that she's home - its insulin shots twice a day and hopefully she'll get regulated quickly. I was terrified, but it seems like the shotgiving thing isn't too tough - though it will put a crimp on any leaving town. That said, the vet bill put a serious hurting on my vacation fund so it really doesn't matter.
I might sound bitter but I'm not.......I'm lucky in so many ways. Lucky that this didn't happen while I was away - lucky that she doesn't seem to have any permanent damage though she's definitely not quite herself yet - lucky that I have the financial resources to make the choice to get her through this crisis and hopefully keep her around for a long time to come.
It was important to me that she get the chance to recover and as I try to type over her face (she's sitting on the desk directly in front of the monitor sneezing on me) - I have no doubt it was the right decision. My Batcat might argue that point however - he thoroughly enjoyed being an only child for a few days.and was not pleased to see Jez return.
And don't get me started on the special prescription food that neither one of them seems to like..... for now, I'll be patient and see if they come around by our next appointment on Friday.
Jezebel crashed this weekend - wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and just lay around scaring the heck out of me. I thought perhaps it was a bad cold and got her in to the vet first thing Monday morning.
Turns out she's diabetic.......they had to keep her a couple of days to get her rehydrated and stabilized and now that she's home - its insulin shots twice a day and hopefully she'll get regulated quickly. I was terrified, but it seems like the shotgiving thing isn't too tough - though it will put a crimp on any leaving town. That said, the vet bill put a serious hurting on my vacation fund so it really doesn't matter.
I might sound bitter but I'm not.......I'm lucky in so many ways. Lucky that this didn't happen while I was away - lucky that she doesn't seem to have any permanent damage though she's definitely not quite herself yet - lucky that I have the financial resources to make the choice to get her through this crisis and hopefully keep her around for a long time to come.
It was important to me that she get the chance to recover and as I try to type over her face (she's sitting on the desk directly in front of the monitor sneezing on me) - I have no doubt it was the right decision. My Batcat might argue that point however - he thoroughly enjoyed being an only child for a few days.and was not pleased to see Jez return.
And don't get me started on the special prescription food that neither one of them seems to like..... for now, I'll be patient and see if they come around by our next appointment on Friday.

Molly says torties are the bestest and they are tough so she'll do fine. She also says get well soon to Jez. Except it sounded nore like "meow", but im sure thats ehat she meant.
ReplyDeleteShe also totally typed that reply so all typos are hers not mine....
ReplyDeleteI love you both....roflmao....
DeleteHope she's feeling better soon and that they take to their new diet.
ReplyDeletePoor Jezzie :( However a good friend recently had her cat diagnosed with diabetes, did the 2 shots per day and a followup glucose test was back to normal and I think they are weaning her off of the shots. She didn't like the prescription food either.
ReplyDelete