Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Wonderful Life

San Antonio, TX
Nashville, TN


Atlantic City, NJ



Today I was printing out some photos for my bedroom travel gallery and I had one of those "aha" moments. 
 
I spend too much time thinking about what I don't have, and not nearly enough reflecting on what I do have.
 
I don't have a life partner which sometimes keeps me from going out and doing things because its not so much fun alone - and has me wondering what I'm going to
do if a time comes when I need help looking after myself.
 
I don't have a great body - or even a properly sized one , I'm much too fat and although I'm blessed with good health, excess weight leads to higher risks for about everything which is more likely to cause me to need help looking after myself (see #1 above)
 
And I could go on and on, but you get the point. 
 
Now, I don't believe for a minute that I should give up on ever losing weight, or finding a partner, or any of the other things that I don't have but would like to.  Goals are important to me - in fact, I found myself a bit lost once I finished school after all those years - I need to find something else to strive for longterm - maybe retirement - maybe a change in career - maybe a new hobby. 
 
But I have so many wonderful things in my life as it is - a truly amazing son, dil, and granddaughter who make me proud - a brother who may drive me nuts, but is always there for me, and the furballs who worship my existance (or so I tell myself).  Then there's my best friend who has put up with me for more than forty years how.
 
I've visited many  different places, and met lots of special people, many who have become good friends.  And because I have my health and adequate income, I can keep on travelling to visit those friends and even make new ones.
 
Happy accidents brought me my dream career and my dream house - and all in all, its pretty close to a dream life......something I will try to appreciate every day.
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Who needs those things when you have us, your adoring public? ;).

    Besides, your "negatives" are positive to some: if not for you doing things alone like traveling, I would not had the confidence to try it myself. And if you didn't do all sorts of your own repairs and such I might not realize I need to learn how in case I don't have Bob to do it for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - you're right - I would be nothing without my fan club :).....It really surprises me anytime you talk about not having the confidence to do something, because in many ways you are my idol - taking the necessary risks to live your dream....

    ReplyDelete