Saturday, August 6, 2011

I see clouds of white...

lizards of blue........

That is a juvenile five lined skink - not the one I saw in the yard this morning (I didn't have my camera with me), but close enough.

Then there were the birds......two hummingbirds playing tag through the trees stopped off at their feeder, the usual collection of robins, crows, and bluejays hopping around the regular feeders, and the cardinals, sparrows, chickadees, and goldfinches all taking their turns to chow down.  I even got to see my downy woodpecker - this time poking at the Crepe Myrtle rather than at my finch feeder.

They were calling for rain in the afternoon so I figured better to get chores done early (and they were right - we just had storms roll through and I hear the rain again).  I grabbed the gas weed wacker from under the deck and must have startled a little grey tree frog who ended up on my arm......at this point I'm starting to get used to such surprises - so I'm sure he was much more frightened than I was.

And as I cleared some more of the brambles from my yard I felt a bit like a pioneer - building a life in the wilderness.  Never mind that I'm only a mile from the supermarket, a liquor store, a pizza parlor and a chinese restaurant - not to mention  McDonalds....the same distance from the interstate....and less than fifteen minutes from Walmart and Target.

What counts is that it feels like I'm in the wilderness.......and as I put my tools away, popped the top on a beer, and settled in on the deck to watch some more of the backyard doings, I said to myself.

What a wonderful world.

Hope your world is wonderful too....

No comments:

Post a Comment