Sunday, November 20, 2011

11/20 - a weekend well spent.....



This is actually last Saturday night's dinner...but it's proof that just because you live alone doesn't mean you can't feed yourself well. The wine that you barely see is Macchia Barbera - Delicious.  Yep - that's the name  -  you might think they are being a bit cocky - but if I had named it - I would have chosen Awesome - its that good.  (And Lisa, its a Lodi).

After a few days of brrrr weather - the temperature warmed up nicely - it made it to 68 on my back porch.  I probably should have taken better advantage of the nice weather with a long walk - but my outdoor adventures were limited to grocery and home improvement store shopping.

That said - I did get my turkey which I'm going to try brining this year.....screws to install the wine glass rack in my new bookcase converted to wine cabinet....and some electrical odds and ends to help with my latest project - improving the horrid lighting in my basement.

Which finally brings me to this point.  Some things you can just do - some things you have to understand first......and electricity falls into the latter catagory.  I generally don't have a problem switching out one light fixture for another - I just pay attention to how the old was hooked up and do the same for the new.  But this time, I chose to boldly put light where there was none before - I added a new fixture next to an existing one.

And it worked.......so on to the next challenge.  I have those stupid pull chain lights all over my basement - in a couple of places, I want a light switch.   This required study - the short version is that power is like water in a hose.  If you want to be able to shut it on and off, you have to put a switch somewhere in the middle....but of course that's probably not where you want the switch so you have to figure out how to run cable etc etc etc.

It took time and and a couple of redos (and much cussing - particularly when I shocked myself).....but it is done.  I now have a light switch controlling the laundry room light.

And as this weekend draws to a close, I remember what my friend Susan said about wringing every second out of every day.  I didn't quite manage all that, but it was a weekend well lived and that makes me happy.

Hope all of you had a great weekend as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment