Its been a wonderful and busy week so far, and I thought the easiest way to remember it all would be to do a list....
1. Sunday I went to Ocean City to pick up my best friend - she was staying at her parents condo so we spent the night and came back the next afternoon. This is the beach that practically every parent in Maryland took their children too for vacation.....and I have many memories of the place - some of which probably deserve their own blog., and I'll get around to that one of these days.
2. Things change, but OC remains much the same - high rise condominiums along the beachside shops and restaurants in the middle, and more condos/townhouses/mobile homes along the bayside.
I'm kind of embarrassed to say I didn't walk the beach or even stick my toes in the sand this trip - but to be fair, the water is COLD until August, and once you've been to the Caribbean, or even Florida....its just not "all that" any more.
3. What I loved most was being able to sit out on the balcony smelling the salt air and listening to the waves....it reinforced my thoughts about retiring to a beach condo somewhere.
4. With a bit of luck I can make "retiring" a possibility in six more years.......not that I will - it would just be nice to have that option.
5. My BFF is delightful company......we had a great time and the only disagreement we had was about who would pay for what - she kept trying to pay for stuff and of course, I was as well :).
6. She got me good though - at one point she borrowed my car to go meet one of her friends - when she brought it back we headed out to meet up with her nephew and I discovered it had a full tank of gas. She blamed that on the "gas fairy".
7. If you've read me for a while you might remember my "watch guy" - the man who had been replacing my battery for years and years. They tore down the mall where his stand was and he disappeared....I bought my own tool to change my own battery.....but when I was in Adelaide the back fell off somewhere and I ended up having to buy a replacement watch. Anyhow - I noticed an article in the paper about someone taking over a jewelry store....my BFF and I headed over there - and it was my Mr Lee....and he remembered me. I didn't need a battery but I had several rings to be resized and an earring to be repaird.....and I likely will eventually take that old watch of mine back to him and see if he can put a new back on.
8. Speaking of old friends - as we were driving through town, I noticed my old mailman sitting on his borch. I'd noticed his car had disappeared sometime last year and I never saw him out so I thought perhaps he'd gone into a nursing home or even passed away. (Our local paper now makes you pay for an obituary - so many folks no longer have their family members listed). I was so excited to see him I had to stop...and since BFF used to live a few doors down - she was remembered by all the neighbors and it was a reunion of sorts....one of those awesome random moments.
10. We also went to visit a couple of pet boarding facilities- one at my usual vet and one at the vet up the street. I have to say I was really sad because neither measured up to my expectations. I was thinking I'd find something similar to the space given to rescues at Petsmart but these cages were much smaller. One was a wire cage facility associated with the grooming room...so the positive part was that Jez would have people and animals to watch during the day....but there wasn't any place for her to climb or perch or run around. The other was a taller cage - plexiglass instead of wire, with a perch and the litter box kind of hidden beneath a shelf. The tech said that if it wasn't a full house they'd let the animals use two adjoining cages which gave them a bit more room. But the cages looked out at a blank wall and the room was closed off so there was no one to watch except when the staff came in to feed/clean the place.
11. The experience has convinced me that if I can possibly let Jez stay home when I travel it would be the best thing for her. So I'm experimenting just giving her one shot a day to see if she can manage OK . If it works, I can just have my regular petsitter come in and give her insulin and feed them both their canned food - they can have dry inbetween. Hope this works out.
12. Vacation - its only two and a half weeks until I'm off to Seattle and BC....I'm really excited not just to have an adventure, but to get to spend some time with my friends Lisa and Carol. It was such a lucky accident that we met online in the first place.....and they are truly amazing women.
13 Hmmm - what to finish with? How about the storms we had today.....which turned out to be not anywhere near the big deal that the forecasters were predicting. And apparently it wasn't just local forecasters - I had a couple of people ask if I was OK after they'd heard of a tornado in my town. I honestly have no idea where that tornado was - as far as I know we had one tree hit one roof a couple miles away from me. But its nice to have people who care about me.
Wishing everyone a great rest of the week and weekend.....

No comments:
Post a Comment