I just got back from a quick trip to visit my best bud, who has been my friend for more than 40 years and now lives in South Carolina. We have another mutual friend who moved to Myrtle Beach some years ago, and we all shared a mini girls vacation at the beach.
It was wonderful - the weather was good (at least the first couple of days), the resort was nice, but the best part was just being able to relax and enjoy each other's company.
And it reminded me just how much I love being able to hear and watch the ocean. Many of my best memories are associated with the beach.......as a teen hanging under the parking deck of a condo complex sneaking cigarettes and beer.....trying to act sophisticated when I came across my first nude beach in Greece..... snorkeling with a manatee in Key Largo and with sea turtles in Hawaii. Cresting a hill in the Sinai and discovering the amazing beaches of the Red Sea....the list goes on and on.
The ocean is everchanging - just take a look at the difference a day makes.....
Happy Ocean
Dealing with my fathers disability over the past few months has made me recognize that I need to think about my future and decide what I want while I still have the ability to make my own choices. I love my house and the life that I've made for myself here in my hometown....but there will likely come a day when I just can't keep up with the demands of maintaining a house and a yard or perhaps I'll no longer find joy in the work.
And when that time comes, I'll be ready to move to a small oceanfront condo someplace where the smell of the salt and the sound of the waves will calm me - and the ocean itself will provide me with everchanging scenery, even if I can't leave home.



Hi Em...Added you to my RSS feed. I know what you mean about getting older, and missing the ocean. Although, my plan is to probably retire to Chiang Mai, Thailand, which is no where near the ocean. Thankfully, I will be able to take a quick flight to the seaside when the urge hits.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I've seen your pictures and stories of Chang Mai, so I figured it was one of your happy places for sure. - My friend Carol's family has spent some of the past couple of winters in Ko Samui and they love the country - friendly people and inexpensive. With all the places you've been and seen I know I have to put Thailand higher on the "to do" list and who knows....someday we might be neighbors :).
Delete