Saturday, January 14, 2012

1/14/11 - Weekend Wine - PromisQous Red





Forgive me blogger for I have sinned - its been almost a week since my last posting ;).

Goodness - I have to say that I'd forgotten how much work goes into living.  First off, there's my new years resolution to indulge in some form of exercise every day....even if its just Friday night bowling.  I'm pleased to say that with the exception of Thursday night (where I ended up in bed at 9 pm because I felt like crap) - I've managed to either go to aerobics class or pop in at least a miles worth of Leslie Sansone. One of those things where it is tough to get started, but I do feel much better (and less hungry) when I've finished.

I've been doing pretty well at tracking my foods on MyFitnessPal too - and although I haven't lost much weight yet, I'm paying attention to what's going in my mouth and there's a lot less bread and a lot more vegetables going on.  Unfortunately, there's not much room in my diet for wine and beer - so I've moved to an every other night approach.

 Then there is school.  This is the next to last class for my MBA, and it involved four papers, with the first one due tomorrow.  Sometimes things flow, but this time they didn't until today...when I find myself at the required paper length and still have two topics to address.  I don't want to find myself rushing through the end of this thing, so I thought I'd take a break for an hour or two and then go back with fresh eyes.....part of the reason I'm here.  Fortunately there are no papers due while I'm away on vacation, so I'll just need to check in at least twice and contribute discussion comments - and with three sea days on the Splendor - I should be able to find the time for that.

I'm quite excited about the trip - not just because of the ship and its incredible spa and my first experience with a balcony - but because my best friend will be coming along.  I'm a bit concerned because she hasn't cruised in almost 20 years  and things have changed a lot since then.  For me, they've changed in a good way - less formality, more flexibility, and a younger crowd (although at 50something we aren't really considered part of that crowd anymore, sigh).  But I'd hate to see her expecting the formality (and three fork place settings) of the past.

But then again - there's the spa - and that alone is, IMO, enough to make anyone happy.  I have now been on all three Carnival ships with the expanded spa and this one is my favorite.  On the other ships, I feel as if the area was shortchanged to put more cabins in, and that definitely made the place more crowded.  The Splendor was actually a Costa build, so I've thought perhaps I should try one of their ships - but then again, considering what an unlucky Friday the 13th it was for the Costa Concordia - perhaps not such a good idea.

Hmm - I guess I had more to say than I thought....but I do need to get back to my paper, so let me discuss the wine.....

I picked up a bottle of PromisQous Red because of the catchy label, which says in part


For 10 bucks I couldn't resist.

And it's not bad - out of the bottle it looked  thin like a cheap Pinot -but it tastes like a Zin - not the BIG ones, but the dark fruit with just a bit of pepper ones.   When I looked it up - indeed it is Zin based - and 42% Lodi at that.  At this price, I prefer Sobon's Vicious Red or Sexy Wine Bomb's Red Blend but this is definitely something that would please the majority of folks looking for something to bring to a party.










No comments:

Post a Comment