Saturday, October 15, 2011

We interrupt this trip report for WINE.......

Because how could I pass up the opportunity to attend the "World Tour of Wine" at my local shop today? And how could I not get my passport stamped at all five tables which got me a free event T-shirt along with a free wine carry bag.

What's that you ask? 

No, the wine wasn't free....but it convinced me to bring it home.  I'd already been to the Friday tasting with Stephanie and replenished my wine supply with an assortment of Italian wines, all under 10 dollars except the Amarone that the salesman convinced me to take.......but still - you can never have too much wine, right?

(Note to self - all that buying and I'm still almost out of rum - bad Em)

So tonight, let me tell you about one of the wines I brought home  - Cruz Alta Reserve Bonarda 2010.  Bonarda is an italian grape brought to Argentina, which is now about the only place you'll find it.  It seems that the Bonarda grape was used for everyday wines in Argentina and only recently have they been putting the effort into making export wines with this grape.  As an aside - when I googled for information, I learned that the average Argentinian drinks a third of a bottle of wine per day.....my kind of folks.

However - the Bonarda grape in Argentina is actually more likely to be a French grape called Charbono which has no relationship to Italy at all.

Confused?  I certainly was.....but even so, I found the wine to be quite delicious and worth bringing home.  It had the cherry flavor that I associate with Pinot Nour, but with a lot more body to it.  Let me give you the official word.

"Ruby color with Bordeaux undertones.  On the nose it offers red fruit aromas and flavors of plums and black cherries.  Fruity, silky and smooth with toasty vanilla and cedar notes on the finish."

At less than 10 dollars its not only something new to show your friends, its also a very good value for an everyday wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment