Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rome

What can I say? I remembered loving Rome the first time I visited the city, and at the same time being overwhelmed by the place - by the juxtaposition of ancient and modern, by the effortless style of the Italians, and by the language which is so beautiful in cadence that it actually hurts me that I don't understand most of what is going on around me.

This time, I was a bit better prepared for all that is Roma. It was my job to get us from the port of Civitavecchia to the Forum where we had a tour booked (one that I'd researched) and then manage to accommodate both of our wishlists while still getting back to the ship at a reasonable time.

Not the easiest of tasks for the directionally challenged Em - but it worked out just perfectly with a minimum of stress. We made the train I was hoping we'd make, which gave us plenty of time to meet our tour guide who was actually running a bit late.

I now believe that I could take a dozen tours of Ancient Rome without becoming bored as each one tends to focus on a different aspect of the whole. I had many details pointed out to me this time that were passed over before - and by the same token, the place where Julius Caesar was assassinated and cremated was glossed over by this guide while it was the focal point of my last tour.

Which just goes to show that there are many different ways of understanding Rome. And for now, I think there is no such thing as a wrong way. Our tour was only 4 people - the guide was marvelous, and it was well worth the expense. The history of the Roman Empire is fascinating - I think our own government would do well to learn a bit from it.

Then it was off to complete my wish list by finding the Spanish Steps......on the way we visited Piazza Navonna, the Pantheon (on Judy's list), the Trevi Fountain, and a few other places whose names escape me. We'd gotten on well with our fellow tourists - a mother and daughter from Sydney, Australia and ended up having lunch with them in one or another of the squares....the food and the company were excellent.

We easily found the Metro - and from there the train back to the ship - everything moved quite smoothly - and thus ended an almost perfect day (it would have been perfect had Judy''s missing suitcase arrived.)

I'm typing this as I prepare for dinner. I fully expected to be able to post from Rome - I took my netbook with me on our trip - but there just wasn't time - too much to see and do, I'm afraid. Rome is, I think, the only place in the world that i have now visited on three separate occasions and still crave more.

I absolutely adore Italy - the language, the people, the history - it is intense and relaxing at the same time. Generallly I see a place once or perhaps twice and am satisfied, but I am leaving Rome wanting more.......and feeling comfortable enough that I might attempt it on my own (of course, any of you are welcome to join me). I cannot explain exactly what the magic is, but it is as real to me as the wet hair that I need to take care of before dinner - so please excuse me.

Rome (in a day)

No comments:

Post a Comment