I've blogged about the big computer system upgrade switch that I have been helping out with for the past year. It's been frustrating - I'm not particularly good at working in teams and the people I was assigned to work with aren't my favorite folks......but I have figured out how to distance myself enough that I can be cooperative without taking any of the crap part personally. I rarely venture an opinion - only when I see a serious potential problem, and that approach seems to be effective - when I do comment, it's taken seriously, while others are considered Chicken Littles.
And the target date for a shutdown/switchover was the end of this month.....meaning that I've been really busy trying to do my regular job while helping to test our new system and trying to pretend that I care what font we use for printed documents and whether we teach keyboard and mouse commands together or pick one.
All I care about is that my coworkers and I can get the necessary information into and out of the system so we can do our jobs.
And that must not be happening yet because this afternoon we were informed that the schedule has slipped and we don't anticipate the switchover until the end of March with a start date of April 8th.
So pardon me while I do a short happydance.
You see - since we aren't shutting down in nine days I can get the piles of work on my desk finished.......and if the new schedule holds, by the time we get new piles of stuff that must be rushed though.....I'll be a thousand miles away on my cruise.....and if they do decide to try to start the new system on a Friday (which I personally think is not a smart move)....I'll be wandering DC with my houseguest Susan and friends Jaime and Matt.
Yep - you try your best and you get rewarded.........

No comments:
Post a Comment